Sunday, March 6, 2011

Short Story "Girl"

The short story that I chose was "Girl" because of the fact that there was a video, I liked that.  However the story itself was very entertaining and I thought it was quite funny.  It is basically a guide to all women on how to properly be women.  However, I get the feeling, even when reading the actual story that it is making good use of satire and is not taking itself seriously at all.  The type of Critical theory that I will be using, or at least try to use, will be the feminist theory or gender critical theory.  I feel that this theory is perfect when analyzing and story of this nature.
            This story is telling women that they need to learn how to act like proper ladies, and to be a proper lady you must learn to do the laundry, make dinner, be courteous to others even those who you do not like, you need to have a garden, and love your man, among other things.  If you could not do all of these things in the end then you would be considered a slut and no one would want anything to do with you.
            I spoke to my mother about this and she told me that back in the fifties and sixties things where really like this, exactly like this.  Women back then were supposed to be these perfect little robots that would be on call whenever their husbands needed them.  They would do the laundry, cook dinner, be happy no matter what, and above all else love their man without questions.  In fact my mother was one of the rare individuals to divorce from her first marriage, something that nowadays happens all the time, however back then, it was like a mortal sin, or adultery, people could not believe that my mother could do such a thing.  Women back then were to love their man no matter what the man did to them, my mother, thank goodness did not think that way.
            The world we live in is certainly changing.  Today women have almost as much power as men.  While we are not yet at total equality we are steadily making progress towards it.  I have noticed more and more that there are many men, nowadays, who are stay at home fathers and have taken on the role that the women from the fifties or sixties would fulfill. 
            I think that this is good for the United States, honestly I do not would my future wife to be a robot to wait on me all the time, only some times, just kidding, or am I.  But seriously, I would rather have a wife who I could talk to, who was my best friend and who would get along with me and accept me for who I am, rather than a brainwashed robot who did everything for me.  That would be so boring and depressing, I am glad that the roles of women are changing, I believe that men and women should both have the same chances in everything they do, and let's face it, most women are smarter than most men so it makes sense, and I said "most" by the way.        

No comments:

Post a Comment